Tuesday 17 January 2012

Flat White

Since the beginning of the year I've been having my coffee prepared as a flat white when I'm out and about. Thus far I've only had three, but they're all important instances for discussing the drink and I am excited to go to more places. I've noticed Tapped and Packed on Tottenham Court Road for one. I would also like to find a really good flat white in Norwich. Flat white experiences after the jump.

Flat White, Berwick Street
My first flat white was at Flat White when I was out in Soho look at records and second-hand clothes. It was made for me by a man dressed as a hot dog. This flat white was an excellent example of coffee in general. In the video Cameron goes on to talk about some of the attributes of the way it's made, with particular attention ot the milk.
From my standpoint as a consumer, what I think is really important is the way that the texture of the milk and the strength of the coffee combine. As a meat-eater I would almost liken a flat white to expertly prepared beef in the sense that aroma, texture and hearty taste are combined in the pursuit of perfection. It's savoury. Flat White was my first flat white and is definitely the benchmark I would compare other coffee shops against. Remember, a flat white is basically £2.50 wherever you go and so you have to consider who is doing the most for the same money. I would definitely say Flat White at this point in my inquiries.

Pret A Manger, South Kensington Tube
Pret's flat white was a strong entry. Discounting the fact that it was in a paper cup as I don't think this was too substantial a fact. The milk was well done and poured if a little frothier than Flat White. The coffee wasn't quite as good. A reasonable effort from a big chain and a fairly accurate introduction.
Starbucks, Gentleman's Walk, Norwich
I have to say that Starbucks was fairly disappointing. The milk was fairly well done but the coffee was ridiculously weak. I may have caught them at a bad time, but then Starbucks coffee is notorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment