Saturday 5 May 2012

My Return and Exciting News

Well, it's been too long. But rather than apologise like a failing blogger I'm just going to focus on some great developments. Collaborations, announcements and a USP after the jump.


In my absence, as well as working on my degree and listening to Galaxie 500 far too much I've been picking up inspiration for what to do with the posts here and how to improve my writing.

Galaxie 500 covering 'Cheese and Onions' by the Rutles
A couple of announcements that ought to liven up this place: first, I'm currently reaching out to friends in the effort of having them guest write either as sole authors of whatever they think would fit or co-authors on mutually agreed topics. Second,  I'm looking to make the link between review and reportage even closer in an upcoming piece about the My Bloody Valentine remasters with a really close friend of mine. We're going to talk about some of the issues that arise when we consider these reissues. Reviewing them seems somewhat redundant but that's not to say we don't have a lot of interesting stuff to say about the music, its presentation, its place in our lives and some of the debate that's currently going on.

Soon I'm going to post a round-up of some comics I've been reading lately. We've got Mark Millar and some thoughts on Comics About Music.

Talking to people and thinking about stuff on here I came to the conclusion that my creative energies can best be released by just experiencing my material cultural environment and sharing it. So the music and comics and concepts I encounter will always be the life blood, as will the  less visible links that bind us to our particular art-spheres. The other thing I hope to keep constant is the desire to universalize the concepts and communicate in a  clear, personable way.

Take this for instance:



Will Self raises some excellent topics for discussion here and my hope for coming entries is to discuss some of the implications. My Bloody Valentine is an obvious example of some of the issues raised. I've written about algorithms before and how the term "My Bloody Valentine" functions both digitally online and mnemonically to remind us to listen to Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth.

My Bloody Valentine just so happens to be one of the bands I listened to in some of my tenderest years as a music aficionado and so they are a perfect example for talking about the relationship between solitary listening and consumption, recommendation algorithms and, forever striking the balance, true friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment